Donal Campbell Lic.Ac. C.Ac (Nanjing) Cert ECBS MBTPA MNIATCM
Photo courtesy of Caroline Hughes
Donal Campbell trained as an acupuncturist in Belfast with the Acupuncture Foundation, completing his clinical training in China at the Nanjing University of Traditional Chinese Medicine and the Nanjing Municipal Government Hospital. He has also undertaken additional training in auricular acupuncture, electro-acupuncture, facial rejuvenation acupuncture (with Virginia Doran) and acupuncture for sports injuries.
Donal trained as a Bowen therapist under Julian Baker at the European College of Bowen Studies and has taken extensive additional training in the application of the Bowen Technique and bodywork in general. Examples include:
- Advanced workshops with Julian Baker
- Sports Injuries with Paula Esson
- Neural Touch (Bowen Bridge) with Gene Dobkin
- Anatomy Trains with Tom Myers and Julian Baker
- Cadaver dissections with Gil Hedley, Tom Myers, Marty Ryan and Julian Baker
- Fascia Bowen with Howard Plummer
- Smart Bowen with Randy Barber
- Tom Bowen's Therapy 101 with Regula Scherrer
More recently, Donal has trained to full practitioner level in the Emmett Technique with Regula Scherrer, Ross Emmett's senior European Instructor, and has undertaken additional training with Debbie Buck, Sue Gassick, Ross Emmett and Karen Mackenzie. He is also a tutor for the Emm-Tech short course.
Donal is a member of the Northern Ireland Association of Traditional Chinese Medicine, and has served as a committee member from 2006 to 2010. He is also a member of the Bowen Therapists' European Register, the Accredited Bowen Therapists of Ireland, the Federation of Holistic Therapists and is registered with the Complementary and Natural Healthcare Council as a Bowen Therapist.
With Bowen Belfast, Donal has worked with a number of organisations, providing treatment, presentations and demonstrations of the Bowen Technique, acupuncture and Taijiquan. These organisations include:
- the Royal National Institute for the Deaf.
- the Northern Ireland Police Fund.
- the W Club - East Belfast men's group.
- HBO - Emmett and Bowen Technique treatment for crew members of "Game of Thrones".
- BBS Productions - acupuncture and Bowen Technique treatment for cast and crew of "Buy, Borrow, Steal" movie.
- Future Films Ltd - Bowen Technique treatment for cast and crew of "50 Dead Men Walking" movie.
- the Parkinson's Disease Society.
- Belfast Health and Social Care Trust.
- the Lyric Theatre, Belfast.
Donal is happy to work with organisations to provide therapy services, information and demonstrations. Please make contact to discuss your needs.
Prior to working as a complementary therapist, Donal worked as an engineer for many years. He graduated from Queen's University, Belfast with a Bachelor of Engineering honours degree in Electrical and Electronic Engineering in 1989. He also worked in the Northern Ireland Civil Service in a managerial role for a number of years.
Donal lives in Belfast with his wife, three children, a dog, and several cats.
Donal became involved in the martial arts in his early teens, when he trained in Wado Ryu Karate and Mugendo Karate and was a competitive tournament fighter. Currently he practices and teaches Aikido with the Belfast Aikido Circle. He has graded to second Dan level with the late Alan Ruddock.
Donal has trained in Chen style Taiji Quan with Grandmaster Chen Xiao Wang, who has granted Donal permission to teach the Chen 19 Step Form and the Silk Reeling exercises.